Коментар #1021

"Hall Of Famer"

Група: Members
Коментари: 18,901
Регистриран: 19-August 05
Град: H.D. State
Потребител N: 680

"Can You Say Landlord"

Quick aside to explain the title. One of my favorite Eddie Murphy skits from his SNL days was Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood where he frequently talked about his landlord. "Landlord" happens to be Shelden Williams' nickname. Oh and one more layer: Recently Williams tweeted that someone mistook him for David Robinson. Of course David Robinson had those great Nike commercials also titled "Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood." See it all makes sense ...at least in my head. Anyhoo... The Celtics signed Shelden Williams right around the time when Leon Powe was deciding to play for the Cavs. We can only assume the two transactions were related and that Williams is being brought in to be Leon's replacement (for a full season instead of just the partial one Powe is expected to to play). But don't hold that against Shelden. It isn't his fault he's replacing a popular player. So the question remains, can the guy play? Will he be any help this year or is he simply an insurance policy? After staring at Duke, Shelden was drafted too high by the Hawks in 2006 and promptly dropped completely off my radar. Turns out he bounced around a bit before landing in Boston. One of his stints was in Sacramento, so I thought I'd ask Tom Ziller of Sactown Royalty for a quick scouting report. Here's what he said. The Landlord made his name in college on defense: Shel owned the paint, and he alone decided who else was allowed to be in there. In the NBA, that hasn't exactly translated well. While Ben Wallace was able to defend centers ably despite his height, Williams can't quite hang with 7-footers. So he's stuck defending similarly undersized power forwards, which is does well, but which isn't a terribly big priority, especially in the East (or against the long Lakers). On offense, Williams is a walking disaster. Mikki Moore is a better offensive player than Shel. That's not an endorsement. For either player. Williams will give the Celtics solid rebounding while he's in (though KG and Perk do that as well). But Boston will need at least three offensive impresarios on the floor with him to stay afloat, if history is any judge. Luckily, Boston has the scoring horses Sacramento and Atlanta (and Minnesota) did not. So there you have it. Ironically, he may be ideally suited to defend the guy that he replaced. I'm going to slot this into the low-risk, high potential reward category. Last year that role was played by Patrick O'Bryant who was tall and lazy. In those respects Shelden would appear to be the anti-POB. He'll work hard, fight for rebounds, and give us a little extra depth at a position that we were very thin at last year. Oh yeah, and he's married to WNBA star Candace Parker. So he's got that going for him, ...which is nice.

--------------------
"The Greatest Shooter In History Of The Game"
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008...
"NBA is BUSINESS first, entertainment second, basketball a distant third"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Birdie
коментар Sep 23 2009, 11:01 AM
Коментар #1022

"Hall Of Famer"

"Rondo Talks About Improving His Game, Adding Rasheed, And Lots More"

SI.com: How do you work on being a better floor general? RR: I think it's just growing more mature, really. The more experience I get, the better I'll become. You have to know how to manage people's attitudes and you have to deal everyone differently. I can't respond to KG [Kevin Garnett] like I respond to Baby [Glen Davis]. Now we have Rasheed [Wallace] this year, so I have to manage his mind-set. Every player we pick up I have to learn their personality and learn how to deal with them on the court. SI.com: With Rasheed now in Boston, do you have any concern on how all the big personalities will fit together? RR: KG and Rasheed are pretty close friends. And Paul [Pierce] and Ray [Allen] flew out to Rasheed's house with Doc and Danny [to recruit him]. But as far as having egos, they should have them; they've earned them, they're All-Stars. The younger guys just have to follow, and I have to be the first young guy to follow and lead by example. More after the jump, including Rondo's thoughts on Ainge's criticism over the summer, and his potential future in Boston. SI.com: You mentioned Doc wanted you to be more of a leader. Danny Ainge made some headlines over the summer by saying he wanted you to offer more leadership and grow up in some cases. Were you surprised to hear his comments? RR: I wasn't surprised. If he feels that way, then I have to pay attention and grow. SI.com: Were Ainge's comments fair? Could you have handled some things better last season? RR: Maybe on the court ... [when] a possession or two may go by and I'm frustrated about the game, and things aren't going well for me, I may get quiet or shut down, I may not talk as much on the defensive end and call out all the sets and all the screens. But I still have to call the plays and not be difficult in front of my teammates. I'm my harshest critic. If I can keep the team first whether I'm playing well or poorly and help us win, then my game doesn't really matter. . . .  SI.com: Your name was bandied about in trade rumors around draft time. What were your thoughts about that? RR: It seems like there's only been about five different guys who have been with one team their entire career, so there's always a possibility, especially for a guy of my caliber, to get traded. I'm sure if the Celtics had the opportunity to get a better point guard and not have to give up much ... you never know. But that's the business. I want to be wherever I'm wanted. I love being in Boston, but whoever wants me that's who I'm happy to play for. SI.com: You could sign a contract extension this fall or you could test free agency next summer when a number of teams will be looking to buy talent. Is that an enticing possibility? RR: That could be, but it's still early so I've got some time to see how things settle in Boston. If it doesn't, I'll play out the fourth year and see how things go next summer. SI.com: Is it safe to assume you'd prefer to stay with the Celtics? RR: If the Celtics want me, then I'd be happy to stay.

--------------------
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008...

+Quote Post
Birdie
коментар Sep 23 2009, 11:02 AM
Коментар #1023

"Hall Of Famer"

"Camp Questions: 15th Roster Spot"

6 Days Till Camp! Leading up to the opening of training camp on Sept. 28 we'll be taking a look at several questions that should be resolved by the end of camp. We've got 14 players under contract. Lester Hudson was drafted in the 2nd round but has yet to be signed. Dan Dickau has been invited to camp and I would venture to guess that another name or two could be added as well. There's a chance a last minute deal or signing could make this all moot. And of course the team keeps hinting that there's a chance the team could run with only 14 players.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Birdie
коментар Sep 23 2009, 11:39 AM
Коментар #1024

"Hall Of Famer"

"The Finite Trademarks of 2007-08"

The more I think back to the 2008-2009 season and compare it to the 2007-2008 season, the more I realize how much was actually different. Like most fans I assumed that after we won, we'd just keep on rolling and possibly put together something resembling a dynasty. This wasn't supposed to be a one and done situation like the Miami Heat back in 2006. Our winning days were supposed to last at least three years, if not longer. I know Kevin Garnett was hurt last season. I know we lost James Posey and P.J. Brown. I know Leon Powe went down in the playoffs. We lost an awful lot of talent to injury and if by some divine miracle we had actually pulled out a second championship or even a Finals appearance, it would have probably gone down as one of those "dream" seasons where everything essentially had to fall into place for us at just the right time. But besides the different players and the injuries, we drastically missed so many finite tendencies, traditions and trademarks last year that helped define us as champions back in 2007-08. You see, our only championship in the past two decades wasn't defined solely by the players and the coaching strategies or the nightly matchups. Sure, they played a vital role, but here's my list of other trademarks that we coveted two seasons ago, but sorely missed last year: The catchy team slogan: Sure, we tried to bring 'Ubuntu' back, but Tom Halzack said it best when he wrote back on September 8 when referring to last season: 'Ubuntu seemed so last year'. Despite us wanting to still believe in the African proverb that became the verbal trademark of the championship season, the slogan itself seemed reserved for the rarity of the 2007-08 team and once we lost James Posey and P.J. Brown, we simply weren't looking at the same team that made it a household name. Sometimes, something works one time around, but loses its luster shortly thereafter, like a Free Credit Report.com commercial or a Geico Caveman.  Alas, there is hope this season. There is opportunity. With Rasheed Wallace and Marquis Daniels joining the squad and Kevin Garnett returning, the excitement is mounting as if it were 2007-08 all over again. Now is the perfect time to implement another slogan that we can all hang our hats on, particularly during our rough stretches. It doesn't have to be an African proverb or even have some deep meaning. It just has to be something catchy that brings everyone closer together and keeps them there. The victory cigar: The now immortal Gino graced the video board whenever it became clear that the Celtics would be walking away with a win back in 2008. No matter how much time was left, the Garden went from respected basketball venue to certified dance party, with the Celtics players themselves leading the crowd. Shirts were made, jokes were told and sometimes it actually seemed as if wanting to see Gino one night served as some extra motivation for the team. But, like Ubuntu, Gino helped define 2007-08.  I suppose replacing trends like Ubuntu and Gino is really like replacing quality players. Sure, there will never be another Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett or Ray Allen, but we hope to find players like them in the future. We want a slashing, clutch scorer like Pierce, a pure sniper in Allen and an enthusiastic defensive stopper similar to Garnett. Will we ever get the originals back? Unfortunately not. But that doesn't mean we can't find solace and excitement in the next wave of talent. The same can be said for team slogans and victory cigars.  Incredible team chemistry: Sure, last season's wasn't that bad at all. In fact, the chemistry last year was still so good it made some other franchises jealous. But it couldn't compare to what we saw back in 2007-08. Remember how we would go up by double digits at some point in the fourth quarter (and Gino would appear!), but rather than sit mutely on the bench, the veterans and All-Stars were up on their feet screaming support for the pine guys now gracing the parquet? Between the high-fives, the chest bumps and the Posey man hugs, we were the closest knit group in the league. Maybe it had something to do with having training camp over in Rome (and KG buying all the rookies fresh suits). Maybe it was our steady collection of strong personalities. Maybe it was the fact that we were winning. Whatever the case may be, both the bench and the starters wanted each other to succeed in the greatest way possible and that ultimately made us the most cohesive team in the entire league. A Posey-like intangibles guy: I feel like I've dropped Posey's name more than any other so far, which means I either really, really liked him or he was just that vital in 2007-08. I'm sure it's a little bit of both. But, as we all know, there's only one James Posey and, unless Danny Ainge works some magic that would leave Harry Potter jealous, he won't be here this season. However, Posey's diverse and versatile game helped make up for what was arguably a lack of talent in the second unit back in '08. (If you recall, before Sam Cassell and P.J. Brown showed up, our second unit was typically comprised of Posey, Eddie House, Glen Davis (a rookie at the time), Leon Powe and one of the starters.). Now that we arguably have a more talented group than we did in 2007-08, we might not need all of what Posey brought, but we'll need at least some of it. We need that guy who draws offensive fouls, dives into the stands even when it's clear the ball cannot be retrieved and salvages broken plays when the offense seems to be going nowhere.  Leon Powe played something along the lines of this role last season, especially when he stepped in to take a charge. Before him, it was Ryan Gomes. Slowly, but surely we've lost our intangible guys. With Posey it was the confidence, the grittiness on defense, the superior hustle, the timely plays and the championship aura that surrounded him. Pierce could realistically fill such a role, but a player shouldn't have to adapt his game to fill in here. Some players are born to play this way and I'm not entirely sure we have such a player right now. A backup point guard: Clearly, success in the regular season depends on this position. Wait...hold on. Wasn't Eddie House, a shoot-first guard our backup point back in 2007-08 for over three quarters of the season? Meaning we didn't actually have a true backup until Sam Cassell joined the ranks on March 4, 2008? And isn't House technically our backup to Rajon Rondo right now? If you'll recall, the Celtics were 49-12 when Cassell played his first game as a Celtic. Not too shabby. What's more, with this season's bench being arguably more talented than that of two years ago, House backing up Rondo might even prove to be more effective this time around. And if you lack confidence in House, perhaps Daniels, who apparently could kill two birds with one stone by backing up Pierce and handling the ball for the second unit, is your man.  Now, believe it or not, I actually want stability at the backup point guard spot and I would be in favor of signing a guy like Tyronn Lue (or another proven veteran). Beyond having a guy who can handle the ball, particularly when pressure is applied, it allows House to focus solely on shooting, which paid dividends last year when he set a Celtics single-season three-point shooting mark with a .444 clip. But if adding a wily vet isn't in the cards, we'll have to make due with the House/Daniels combo for now. However, the postseason is an entirely different beast and will require the aforementioned stability behind Rondo. Perhaps we'll pick someone up at the deadline, or wait for someone to clear waivers late in the regular season. KG conducting the crowd: There's something truly compelling about watching your team's emotional leader literally reaching out to the crowd for support. When Garnett stuck up his arms he demanded the crowd's attention and it always responded. Not only did the noise threaten to take the roof off the building, but it directly propelled the team when it needed that one last defensive stop or clutch basket. What's more, KG was asking for that energy so he could hone it himself. Who else does that? Maybe a revitalized Garnett will mean more of this is on the way.  Above all, we need to bring the exciting, fun, compelling and simply different atmosphere of 2007-08 back again. That team was more than just a collection of basketball players. They were a great group of people we all loved rooting for and only once they were broken up did we realize how special it actually was. While it's incredibly difficult to replicate a season, we can at least try to bring back some of the heart and soul that made 2007-08 so special and most importantly, made it a championship season.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Birdie
коментар Sep 23 2009, 04:34 PM
Коментар #1025

"Hall Of Famer"

"'Sheed reads"

Celtics forward Rasheed Wallace and some children from the Dotwell afterschool program spent some time together this afternoon as part of the Read to Achieve program. After reading to the students, Wallace and the students toured the city on a Duck Boat.  Wallace said he hasn't spent much time in Boston since signing with the Celtics as a free agent, but the power forward said he's looking forward to getting to know more about the city. "So far, so good," Wallace said of his time in Boston. "I have no complaints. Everyone's greeted me with open arms."

--------------------

+Quote Post
Birdie
коментар Sep 23 2009, 04:36 PM
Коментар #1026

"Hall Of Famer"

"Wallace making way in community"

"New Celtic reaches out at local school"

Talbot Avenue in Dorchester is off the beaten track for most celebrities and professional athletes. But Rasheed Wallace did not have much difficulty finding his way to the Joseph Lee School yesterday.

“I actually have in-laws right around the corner,’’ Wallace said. “That’s pretty much the only time I’ve come down here to the city. I’ve been here. When I was playing on other teams, I would go over to their house.’’ But this was the first time Wallace has made a public appearance in Boston as a member of the Celtics. And before participating in a reading event with students, Wallace made sure he was in the right place. “How many of you are Celtics fans?’’ Wallace asked. All 20 youngsters raised their hands. “That’s good,’’ Wallace said. Wallace then talked about the latest movies he has watched with his four children. Then it was time for Wallace to recite from “Make Way for Ducklings.’’ Wallace, who signed a three-year contract with the Celtics, has been involved in similar reading activities in other cities. “I’ve been doing it pretty much my whole career, with and without the NBA,’’ Wallace said. “It’s nothing new. It’s actually fun for me, to interact with kids - that’s my Achilles’ heel. I’m real big on kids and doing things with them. “I know how it is. Every kid likes to be read to, or just even have an adult play with them, no matter if it’s little girls with a tea party or boys playing in the dirt, it’s all part of being a kid. It’s something we all went through. “My wife and I, we do it sometimes. I’m there with my own kids sometimes. It’s our focus. It’s somewhat important because I wanted to continue what I did in Detroit and Portland, what I do in Philadelphia, North Carolina, and Washington, when I was there with the Bullets many moons ago. “It’s something good, it’s something the kids look forward to, to have a professional athlete - no matter if it’s football, basketball, baseball - come to their school or their neighborhood and interact with them.’’ Wallace has been training with the Celtics in Waltham. But on this day, he was going for the full immersion tour of Boston, joining the youngsters on a Duck Boat ride. “I don’t know too much about the city, I don’t know the best restaurants and all that stuff yet,’’ Wallace said. “But I’m pretty sure the guys on the team will tell me about that. “I have no complaints. Everyone here has treated me with open arms. It’s been a good experience, and as far as the guys in the locker room, we can’t wait to get started.’’ Wallace is eager to plug into the local sports scene. He passed a quick quiz regarding the number of local professional teams. “Definitely, guys are huge Pats fans, huge Red Sox fans,’’ Wallace said. “They support their teams well up here and that’s what a city should do. You have a whole lot of professional teams - there’s five up here - and they’re behind them 100 percent and that’s good. That’s what a community, a city, needs.’’ Wallace was recruited by a Celtic delegation of Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, plus president of basketball operations Danny Ainge and owner Wyc Grousbeck, who visited him in suburban Detroit in June. Wallace planned to take several days to consider, but soon cancelled meetings with other teams and committed to the Celtics. So far, Wallace seems more than content with his decision. “With the caliber of guys on the team,’’ Wallace said, “with Paul, Kevin, Ray, Big Baby [Glen Davis], a whole lot of guys, it’s going to be fun. We’re looking forward to it. We’re pretty much tired of beating up on each other and we’re looking forward to that first [exhibition] game against Houston [Oct. 7]. “The younger guys are ready, they’re in the gym working hard every day, and it’s going to work out for us, in my opinion.’’

--------------------

+Quote Post
Birdie
коментар Sep 23 2009, 04:38 PM
Коментар #1027

"Hall Of Famer"

"New Celt Daniels is championship-driven"

Marquis Daniels made one thing perfectly clear at his Celtics introductory press conference Friday morning at the Celtics training facility in Waltham — he joined the Celtics to win a championship.  Daniels committed to play for the Celtics in mid-July even though he says he could have made a lot more money elsewhere. But the 28-year-old free agent wanted a shot at winning an NBA title more than money. And he felt like the Celtics gave him the best chance to do that, so he agreed to sign a reported one-year contract for the bi-annual $1.99-million exception, which was finalized Friday morning.  “I felt it was a good situation for me,” said Daniels. “Sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward. I think it’s going to be a good situation for me. [The Celtics] are a great team. It’s a great atmosphere. The guys want to win and that’s just something I want to be a part of.” “I’m very happy to be here and hopefully we can bring you Banner 18,” Daniels added.  The deal took about a month-and-a-half to complete. The Celtics first attempted to acquire Daniels via a sign-and-trade with the Indiana Pacers, which would have given them the option to pay him more money and free up at least another roster spot in the process.  “It was in everybody’s best interest to try to work out a sign-and-trade, but those are difficult,” Celtics director of basketball operations Danny Ainge said. A deal could not be made with the Pacers, who were hoping to get something in exchange for their valuable free agent. So Daniels, who made $6.37 million last year, and the option on his contract would have been worth $7.35 million this year, chose to sign with the Celtics for less money in exchange for getting a shot to play for a title contender. “It is a good situation for me,” Daniels said. “It is a good fit. I can come in and help out those guys, Paul [Pierce] and Ray [Allen] and those other guys, [Rajon] Rondo, a break, that will be good for me.” Daniels said that he obviously wanted more money, but he “always knew that I wanted to come to [Boston] and be a part of this franchise and try to help this team play well,” he said. “I had other situations where I could have went and made more money but I wanted to be a part of a great franchise and a winning franchise. This is a team that is a championship contender and to come here, I thought it was a good fit for me.” Ainge was glad he settled for less money. Ainge said that he and coach Doc Rivers have been fans of Daniels since he first entered the league in 2003.  “He can handle the ball,” Ainge said. “He can score the ball. He can play multiple positions. He can defend. He allows a coach to play a lot of different combinations. I can see him playing in some big lineups this year being the backup point with the bigger frontline or I could see him playing some small forward in smaller lineups, so his versatility will allow Doc a lot of different combinations.” Daniels averaged a career-high 13.6 points and 4.6 rebounds per game last season. He said that it didn’t matter to him where Rivers wanted him to play. Two years ago, he played point guard for the Pacers when Jamaal Tinsley was injured, but he is more suited for shooting guard or small forward. “I just want to come in and help,” Daniels said. Daniels said he expected his main role with the Celtics to be keeping Pierce and Allen fresh by giving them a breather when need be.  “They had a long, gruesome series with the Bulls last year, and that took their legs away a lot,” Daniels said. “If I can help out in that area, I think it will be great for them.” Now with Daniels officially in the fold, the Celtics become one of the deepest teams in the league. Ainge noted that the Celtics now have three former NBA starters (Daniels, Rasheed Wallace and Glen Davis) coming off the Celtics bench, making Boston’s second unit extremely dangerous.  “They are guys who can step up and play those [starting] roles if you have injuries and not miss a beat when they come off the bench,” Ainge said. “We have great depth and experience off our bench now.” The Celtics have one more roster spot open that could go to second-round draft pick Lester Hudson or a veteran backup point guard. The Celtics have only one pure point guard on their roster in Rondo.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Birdie
коментар Sep 23 2009, 08:35 PM
Коментар #1028

"Hall Of Famer"

"Who's Left"

Following up on Jeff's article yesterday about the 15th roster spot, here's a look at some of the remaining unrestricted free agents:

PGs: Carlos Arroyo, Chucky Atkins, Dan Dickau, Tyronn Lue, Stephon Marbury, Mike Taylor, Jamaal Tinsley, Jacque Vaughn

SGs: Juan Dixon, Bobby Jackson, Flip Murray, Rashad McCants

SFs: Gerald Green, Joey Graham, Stephen Graham, Darius Miles, Wally Szczerbiak, Ime Udoka

PFs: Raef LaFrentz, Mark Madsen, Stromile Swift, Antoine Walker

Cs: Mark Blount (pending release), Dwayne Jones, Courtney Sims, Robert Swift

Obviously, none of the names above are spectacular. However, there are a few players who could help teams that are in need of some depth.  For the Celtics' purposes, none of the above is a perfect fit, of course; if they were, they'd probably be here already. I really like Bobby Jackson as a player, but he's a bit long in the tooth, and one wonders if he could play beside Eddie House in the backcourt. Jamaal Tinsley is a mess. Chucky Atkins is ancient, and his game is in decline (although he's another guy I've always liked). Flip Murray can't stick with a team, and has always seemed like a "scoring first, second, and last" type of guy. Wally is... well, he's Wally. He's a good shooter, but he's not going to bring much else to the table, especially on the defensive end (although, in his defense, I will say that he played strong defense on Ray Allen in the playoffs). So, in the end maybe none of them makes sense, and it's a better strategy to maintain roster flexibility to sign a free agent during the season or to take back players in a 1-for-2 deal.

Този коментар е бил редактиран от Birdie на Sep 23 2009, 08:36 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Birdie
коментар Sep 23 2009, 08:40 PM
Коментар #1029

"Hall Of Famer"

"Dickau chooses Suns camp over Celtics"

Free agent guard Dan Dickau decided to pass on an invitation to the Celtics training camp, choosing to attend Phoenix's instead. The decision could bode well for Lester Hudson, the point guard taken by the Celtics with the 58th pick in this summer's draft.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Birdie
коментар Sep 23 2009, 08:47 PM
Коментар #1030

"Hall Of Famer"

"Read To Achieve"

The Boston Celtics, along with Dotwell afterschool program, welcomed Celtics forward Rasheed Wallace to Boston with a special reading event as part of the Read to Achieve program, presented by Kia Motors. 

"I had an amazing time reading and touring the city with the children," Wallace said. "I was able to learn a lot about Boston and to share my love of reading with some incredible kids. We had a great day together."  Wallace read with the children from the Dotwell after school program and shared some of his favorite books with them. He also discussed the importance of reading in his life. After reading, Wallace and the students toured historic sites around the city on a Duck Boat.  Read to Achieve is a NBA program designed to promote the value of reading and to build a lifelong love of reading in young people by providing greater access to books. The Boston Celtics Read to Achieve program is supported locally by Kia Motors and ReadBoston.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darvin Ham
коментар Sep 23 2009, 08:49 PM
Коментар #1031

M.V.P

Коментари: 2,647
Регистриран: 15-September 04
Потребител N: 134
Любим отбор: Detroit Pistons

Рашидацията им е чел книгата: "Как да свием джойнт за 20, 10 или 5 секунди" smile.gif

--------------------
Айде сакаме па - Емека Окафор - Айде чекаме!
Един стадион, един отбор, един треньор

+Quote Post
Birdie
коментар Sep 23 2009, 08:57 PM
Коментар #1032

"Hall Of Famer"

нищо чудно и така да е, поне има такъв вид, ама ега па се мотивира и играе прилично да вземе още един пръстен

--------------------

+Quote Post
Birdie
коментар Sep 23 2009, 11:12 PM
Коментар #1033

"Hall Of Famer"

"Did KG's Surgery Require Staples"

The guys at Celtics Hub examine KG's knee injury and recent claims by Bill Simmons that the surgery was much more complex than the team is letting on. Their determination? Simmons' and his source are basically on an island with their claims.

Of course, that doesn't mean they're wrong. However, since Simmons has a history of being sensationalistic, and his source has a history of being very, very wrong about injuries, I feel confident in saying that Simmons doesn't know what he's talking about. I'll trust Danny and KG on this one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Birdie
коментар Sep 23 2009, 11:13 PM
Коментар #1034

"Hall Of Famer"

"Danny is #4"

Kelly Dwyer at Ball Don't Lie ranks his top ten GMs of the past decade, and has Danny at #4: "If it seems odd to rank this guy so high, considering he's spent years presiding over some pretty rank teams, I can understand your fears. But this is a decade-long list, and while some of the men at the top of this page may have better futures (and won't have to pay Kevin Garnett over $21 million in 2011-12), Ainge's drafting acumen and willingness to take chances make him a winner in my book. If not one in the standings, from 2003 until 2007." Ahead of him? Donnie Nelson (really?), Joe Dumars, and R.C. Buford.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Birdie
коментар Sep 23 2009, 11:15 PM
Коментар #1035

"Hall Of Famer"

"Camp Questions: Giddens vs. Walker"

5 Days Till Camp! Leading up to the opening of training camp on Sept. 28 we'll be taking a look at several questions that should be resolved by the end of camp.

Bill Walker and J.R. Giddens were the designated "rookies that get no playing time" last year. They have a chance to take on a bigger role on this year's team, but they'll have to impress in camp. 

Danny and Doc have hinted in the past that there was only room for one of them. I assume that means in the rotation, but they could be talking about on the roster as well.

Walker saw more court time last year but during summer league the team declared that Giddens had caught up with Walker. This should be one of the more interesting camp battles to watch.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Melo_Man
коментар Sep 24 2009, 10:28 AM
Коментар #1036

Коментари: 5,542
Регистриран: 8-June 06
Потребител N: 1,462

Шийд тук ми прилича на татко Шътълсуърт.

--------------------

8th of June 2006 - 8th of June 2011

Good bye to the forum

+Quote Post
Birdie
коментар Sep 24 2009, 10:38 AM
Коментар #1037

"Hall Of Famer"

то нема лошо, като имаме Джизъс, да дойде и бащичко  icon_mrgreen.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Birdie
коментар Sep 24 2009, 02:50 PM
Коментар #1038

"Hall Of Famer"

"Good Lockin' Out"

This is a pivotal season for NBA referees. Having made it through the heavy scrutiny of last season, following the Tim Donaghy betting scandal revelations, the NBA is coming off a postseason in which never-before-seen levels of controversy drew the spotlight away from some otherwise compelling games and series. Every night, it seemed somebody new was in danger of being suspended, whether it be Rafer Alston slapping Eddie House upside the head or Rajon Rondo inadvertently catching Brad Miller in the face while swiping for the ball. Each decision to suspend or not suspend a player had a huge effect upon the next game. The NBA obviously needs to sort out that situation so that everybody is clear, once and for all, what constitutes a flagrant 1, flagrant 2 or just an old-fashioned personal foul and what the relevant suspension should be. Postseason suspensions could be served during the following regular season, for example.   Perhaps more importantly, this is the year where the NBA is set to introduce more-relaxed traveling rules and how they handle that could make the NBA's most unstoppable players ever more unstoppable. Or, alternatively, could narrow the gap between those who used to get away with such violations anyway and the rest of the field. This could theoretically affect careers and define legacies. Can they afford to have replacements in place during this crucial transition period? Last week, the NBA officially announced that they were going to lockout the referees, in light of their ongoing contract negotiations with the league. Referee training camp began on Sunday with replacement referees. Inevitably, this has fans, players, coaches and the media concerned about the standard of officiating in the upcoming season. What can we expect to see from these replacement referees, which will be taken from a pool of D-League and WNBA officials? In particular, how is this likely to affect the Celtics? I decided to investigate further. Reaction around the league to this has been mixed. Chris Paul isn't worried. Shaquille O'Neal supports the current NBA refs and says this needs to happen. Derek Fisher, on the other hand, says that not having NBA referees on the floor at the start of the season would be "unacceptable". Doom mongers have pointed to the fact that officials were also locked out in 1995, which is widely remembered as a debacle and not without good reason. A shoving match between Dale Davis and Michael Smith that the replacement officials were unable to split up, escalated into a full scale brawl, which saw a then-record 16 Kings and Pacers players suspended. Chris Webber was injured in another fight. O'Neal himself was injured by Matt Geiger during a particularly physical preseason game and missed the start of the year. Finally, many people spoke out about the standard of officiating. Dennis Scott, by no means the sole dissenting voice, labeled the replacements "horrible" in an interview with the Orlando Sentinel. In theory, it shouldn't be as bad this time though. They used to have just two officials back then, with no instant replay for three pointers or buzzer beaters. The small arc takes away a lot of ambiguity about charging fouls. Additionally, he replacement officials came from college ball and the CBA last time, so weren't "in the system" and used to refereeing to NBA rules. I decided to go back and watch a few games from the time of the original lockout and I have to say that the officiating didn't seem all that bad. Of course it would have differed from crew to crew, but the number of protested calls by players, coaches and even Tommy Heinsohn were no higher than any other game, whether it be 1995 or 2008. With that said, there were a few things that stood out:  Apparently, they had just introduced stricter rules about disrespecting officials and being called for technical fouls. I don't know if this was done to counter the fact that the league was anticipating the players not having much respect for the replacements. One of the games was refereed by a college crew, who called a few travels on the perimeter which, although correct, would never normally be called in an NBA game (although perhaps they should be.) The CBA refs seemed a little better, although there were maybe more offensive foul calls on screens or down low and fewer what I would call "ticky-tack fouls". These are probably a closer representation of the replacement referees this time round than the college crews because they were used to dealing with pro players and NBA rules. The TNT announcers made reference to a game in Chicago which did almost descend into farce because there were an inordinate number of three second violations. Again, these were probably the right calls, but usually overlooked in the NBA, although it is a non-call which was - and remains - one of Tommy's biggest bugbears. So were these referees all that awful, or did they just call everything by the book and ignore the NBA's unwritten rules? This would explain why they drew the ire of a player like Scott. Here's what I saw from Dennis Scott in one of the games I went back and watched, though: He backed down his man in the low post and was called for an offensive foul when he shoved his man off his spot with a forearm to the chest. It was probably a foul that nine times out of ten would not be called, but on this occasion, it was. His reaction? He disrespectfully fired the ball back at the official, hitting him in the shins as he signalled to the scorer's table. Was a technical foul called, though? Nope. And did Scott get hit with that call again? Of course not. He continued to back down the smaller guards and went to the line for 6 shots, all of which he made en route to a game-high 30 points. Clearly, although they weren't refereeing "the NBA way", the officials were still susceptible to being intimidated, which I would suggest is probably more down to human nature than any unwritten rules the NBA might have whispered to their referees. Another example I saw was Dino Radja being called for a travel on a low post move, another thing that NBA players usually get away with (perhaps even moreso today.) However, when Charles Barkley made an identical move, there was no whistle, much to Tommy's chagrin. Intimidation factor again? Probably. In 1995, the lockout was over within just over a month, although they may have fast-tracked their way to a solution in view of the bad press that was being received. If this season begins and the negotiations have yet to be resolved, what can we expect from our replacement refs? As Celtics fans, you can't help but monitor these things closely. Bennett Salvatore seems to have an agenda against Paul Pierce. Bill Kennedy was fined after goading Doc Rivers into a technical foul. Kendrick Perkins and Rasheed Wallace are among the league leaders in being "T'd up". Then you have all the incidents from last year's postseason and the additional concern that some of their main rivals have players that receive suspected "preferential treatment" from officials. There was even that hullabaloo after game two of the 2008 finals when people complained about the one-sided officiating and they were absolutely right. I still don't know how the Celtics only shot 28 more free throws than the Lakers on a night when they went to the hoop on almost every possession, but the Lakers kept jacking threes. It should have been 38.   That's before you even get into the last two minutes, where the officials (a) ignored Kobe bumping Paul Pierce on a lay-up, (cool.gif allowed Kobe to score despite him hooking Pierce AND travelling on the same play, © ignored Derek Fisher bullying Pierce off the ball, (d) allowed Vladimir Radmanovic to shove James Posey off a loose ball and then take FIVE steps on a dunk shot and (e) called a ticky-tack foul on Pierce to send Kobe to the line. My point - and there is one, other than just blind homerism - is that refereeing is never easy because close to 50% of the people watching will think you got any close calls wrong. Add in the intimidation factor (so masterfully played by Phil Jackson after this particular example) and it's hard not to worry that replacement referees will find it hard in the NBA. Many people have joked that, "It can't be any worse," and it is interesting to consider. If the main problems in 1995 were because the replacements called it by the book and didn't overlook certain violations, then it would be very interesting if that happened again this time. Very, very interesting. If O'Neal is called for a charge every time he barrels a post-up defender out of the way, he's going to have to resort to beating them with speed, which could get very ugly. If every time Dwyane Wade makes a jab step move in the lane, while on the move, without dribbling the ball, he gets called for a travel, that will affect his ability to get to the hoop and make him less dangerous. If LeBron James gets called for a travel every time he comes off a pick at the top of the key and takes three steps before taking off for a big dunk - or if he decides to add another step to his now-legal "Crab Dribble" and starts calling it a "Lobster Dribble" or something, but the officials refuse to allow it, then he'll be calling the officiating "horrible" too. Maybe that's how it would be remembered in fifteen years, too, but the rest of us would find it a refreshing change. With the NBA's star-making agenda and - while I would stop short of suggesting they would try and engineer this - the perceived benefits they seem to expect from a LeBron-Kobe finals matchup (personally, I would find this tedious beyond belief, but that's beside the point), I doubt this would ever happen, especially with the fact that the WNBA/D-League refs will take less time to "get with the program". In fact, with the still prevalent intimidation factor, it could actually go the other way, leading to even more "superstar calls". However, if it did play out that the superstars were receiving fewers calls, I think many of us would actually be dreading the lockout resolution and a return to the old ways. The truth is, though, that this will soon be forgotten once the original referees return, whether that is before the season, one week into it or half way through. At that time we can expect the problems associated with the current officials to return too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Birdie
коментар Sep 24 2009, 09:10 PM
Коментар #1039

"Hall Of Famer"

"TrueHoop Explains "Twitter 101" to Marquis Daniels"

Henry Abbott examines some of Marquis Daniels' recent tweets, including an odd joke related to dog fighting.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Birdie
коментар Sep 25 2009, 12:34 PM
Коментар #1040

"Hall Of Famer"

"Pierce Takes on Childhood Obesity"

(Paul Pierce) created "The Truth on Health Campaign" as part of his charitable foundation. It includes a Web-based club that encourages kids aged 10-14 to make a one-year pledge to eat healthy and participate in an hour of physical activity each day. Pierce announced his plans at the Clinton Global Initiative this week. The Web site will include monthly challenges, healthy recipes and rewards programs. Pierce says he wishes he had known more about proper nutrition growing up. He has seen from his nephews how children are less active than when he was a youth.

--------------------

+Quote Post

56 страници V  « < 50 51 52 53 54 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 потребител(и) четат тази тема (1 гости и 0 скрити)
0 Потребител(и):

Олекотена версия Час: 20th October 2018 - 08:57 PM

> ADVERTISEMENT:

> Forum Information:

Copyright: © www.basketball-bg.com 2004 - 2011. Всички права запазени
Author: Екип на Basketball-Bg.Team